Thursday, September 29, 2011

This Weekend's Message: Doing Justly: No Distinctions Allowed


Doing Justly: No Distinctions Allowed
Luke 10:25-37
I love to watch people. It’s fun for me when I’m out with Miriam and we are walking Victoria Gardens to observe people. I like to see what people are wearing, who they are with and wonder what their life is about. What is their story? What are their values? What experiences have they had that makes them the people they are today. Of course all of this is pure speculation but the down side is that it can cause me to be judgmental. They never know it but in my mind I’ve made distinctions. And these distinctions are filtered through my own life and beliefs and experiences.

I think many of us, without even thinking, make distinctions when it comes to people. I guess the question we need to answer is whether this is a good thing for those who call themselves Christians. If in the process of making distinctions with people, will that cause us to act differently toward them? This week as we continue our series called “Love in Action” we will look at the words of Jesus and see what he says about what it means to love others by doing justly and how making distinctions can hinder what God calls us to do. I hope to see you Sunday.

Pastor Gary

1 comment:

  1. Wow Gary, you got me on this one! 2 weeks ago we were in Seattle and my son(age 26) found a Pizza place online in Tacoma that he insisted we go find for dinner.(thinking we were only a short drive from it, turned out to be a 45 min drive) Ok, we get off the freeway, go into an industrial type area, I pop up saying that after that confusing drive we might have to just pass the place by cause it doesn't "look" like a very good area cause there's too many people with hoodies on. My son a bit annoyed with me says, "My Gosh Mom, just cause they're black and wearing hoodies? It's COLD out there"! He Got Me! The place was spectacular and the best pizza and pasta we've had in years! Thank God my son saw past what I was looking at. I'm ashamed but will now work much harder to see beyond outside apperances. Great topic Gary!

    ReplyDelete