Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This Weekend's Message: A Real Page-Turner


I passionately collected baseball cards from about 1987-1991, and then sporadically for a few years after that. Then, when I went off to college, I put my baseball cards in the garage and didn’t look at them for years and years. Finally, I went back into the garage, took out the baseball cards, and started to look through them. I had set aside several cards that I knew where special in 1991. But I was wondering if any card that wasn’t special back then had become special (and valuable) since then. To my delight, I found many. Rookie cards of Jeff Kent, Derek Jeter, Randy Johnson, and Chipper Jones (if you’re a baseball fan, these names are meaningful to you). I was so excited to realize that I had these special (and valuable) cards. For years I had no idea; I only found out because I looked. Sometimes our greatest treasures are right under our nose.

Many of us have a great, unused (or underused) treasure right under our noses. It is called the Bible. If we open it up, we will find treasures that will make sense of our lives, give us practical wisdom, and most importantly, connect us to God’s heart. But we will never experience these wonderful benefits if we leave the treasure chest unopened.

Dan Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment