Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Serving is Hard!

By Gary Keith, Lead Pastor

Recently a person posed a question to all of his friends on Facebook. He asked “What makes it hard for you to serve other people?”

They gave some great answers, including:
“Serving is hard when it doesn’t fit into my schedule or plan. Like when I want to go for a walk or take a long bath, but my aging parent needs me to sort their meds, run an errand, or simply be with them.” 
“It’s hard when their need seems endless. I don’t want to risk helping
because I may get sucked in. Being swallowed up in the serving and
not getting to be the me I think I am or should be.” 
“There is such limited energy left after a demanding workday, meeting our basic responsibilities (whether with young kids or in the corporate world). How do you balance the need for rest and self-care with serving others?”

But my favorite answer was this one: “What makes it hard to serve others? Others.” How true! Serving is not something that comes naturally, but that’s okay because as Christians we have someone to follow and lead the way – Jesus. Most of us are familiar with Jesus’ words in Mark where He says, “I did not come to be served but to serve and give my life as a ransom for many.” There it is. As we follow Jesus, serving others becomes a supernatural practice He calls us to join Him in.

“What makes it hard to serve others? Others.”

Recently we held training for the 12 people who have taken a bold step of faith to serve. The training was for our new Open Table ministry. They each gave up six hours one Saturday to learn all they could about serving someone else. And what was so encouraging when the training was over was their
response. “Let’s get moving,” they said. “I’m ready to serve,” they said. Truly they are modeling the heart of Jesus.

In the very near future these 12 people will lead the way as they meet with a person in poverty weekly for a year. The goal is to build a lifelong relationship. And when this relationship unfolds they will be involved in helping this person achieve their own personal life plan.

In some ways I think these 12 are pioneers. They have a heart that beats for the things God’s heart beats for, and I couldn’t be more proud or excited for them and for our church.


LBF is not a place to come and consume the things you need. No, it is a place where together we serve one another in a multitude of ways to help us all see Jesus and grow in Jesus. If you’re not serving you’re missing out. And LBF is not all it could be without you serving. We have many places to start – just send me an email and we’ll help you start serving just like Jesus. Remember our value – every member a minister (one who serves)!

No comments:

Post a Comment