Monday, December 3, 2007

Reflections: December 1-2, 2007

This week's "Reflection" by Jeff Taylor, Pastor of Teaching/Youth

So, as we discussed clearing the clutter this weekend, have any of you come up with some encouraging ways that the rest of us can keep the focus on the real meaning of Christmas without allowing it to be swallowed up by the clutter? I know that in the crazy hectic world that we live in, each day it can be downright exhausting to try and wade through the clutter that seems to bombard us in the form of busyness, relational stress, and financial worries; Just to name a few. But I can't help but continue to believe that if we will be faithful to clear the clutter that creates so much anxiety, and causes us to lose hope, that God has wonderful peace that can only come when our focus and dedication is for Him. Would you please click the link below and share with us some of the ways that you keep the reminders of the vital things in place so that the clutter does not overrun your life?

May your Christmas season be filled with the peace of God. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. I so appreciated Jeff's comments about "clutter." I certainly can relate. Here are some things that help me focus on the birth of Christ during this season. Yesterday I took my 3 & 5 year old niece and nephew to walk down Euclid Ave. in Ontario to see the life-size nativity scenes. We stopped at each scene and talked about what it meant. We had a great time together and it made me focus for sure. Another thing I love to do is listen to Handel's "Messiah." The text is straight from scripture and so meaningful. I got one of my nativity scenes out and put it in a prominent place in my living room as well as putting up my Nativity flag to hang out in front of my house. It gives me an opportunity to visually see Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus and think about God's amazing gift of love to me. And there are a few nativity scenes I have that will come out throughout the season as well. And of course - read the Christmas story in the gospels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to streamline the work of Christmas through the years. I now have home-made Santa Bags where I put all of our gifts. This saves hours of wrapping and our children/grandchildren love feeling their bag, under the tree, and trying to guess what is inside. We have changed our Christmas Dinner from being a long list of food to having several different kinds of soups, breads and desserts. The most meaningful thing I do at Christmas is to attend a Christmas Eve service. After all the busyness of the season, I sit there and quietly reflect upon the birth of Jesus and remind myself whose birthday I am celebrating. Thank you, Jeff, for your wonderful message about the clutter that we allow to distract us from the real purpose of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I have done with my daughters is to buy an inexpensive nativity set that is specifically for them to play with. They spend lots of time focused on the birth of Christ because they can touch and play with Joseph, Mary, Baby Jesus, the Angel of Lord, the wisemen and shepherds . . . (though last year we lost Joseph and have drafted one of the shepherds to take his place -- hope this doesn't cause any confusion in the long-term! :))

    We also have scaled down the scope and complexity of our family celebration. A simple potluck buffet of soup, appetizers, salads and breads means less time spent in preparing food and more time spent visiting. We also try to play Christmas carols that have words celebrating the coming of Christ (and based on scripture) rather than just songs about snow, reindeer and Santa . . .

    And we wish everyone we see Merry Christmas! I am so grateful to be part of a Church community that is so focused on celebrating the real meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete