Monday, December 17, 2007

Reflections: December 15-16, 2007

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Pastor of Teaching/Worship

Refurbishing Relationships - What a complex subject!
I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. My mind was filled with thoughts about how those who have been the victim of adultery heard my message this weekend. How does someone who's been the victim of adultery show selflessness? In Joseph's case God spoke to him in a dream as he was part of a greater plan. But for those today who face the betrayal of a spouse who commits adultery, how do they respond?

In many cases adultery leads to divorce. In fact, Jesus knew how difficult it is to forgive the sin of adultery and included it in his exceptions for divorce in Matthew 5:31-32. But I think once the initial feelings of anger and betrayal are expressed and maybe even a divorce occurs, there is room for forgiveness and acts of selflessness. I've seen it in the lives of several who have lived through this terrible sin. What do you think? Let me know by writing on the reflections blog below.

For those who have not experienced adultery first hand, I'd love to hear your stories of how the Holy Spirit of God enabled you to show selflessness or become sacrificial as you refurbish a relationship this Christmas season. My prayer is that God's Holy Spirit would specifically lead each one of us to start the healing in this complex world of relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment