Monday, June 29, 2009

Reflections: June 28, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive & Teaching Pastor


This weekend in our study of James we talked a lot about waiting and patience. If you were in the service you know that waiting for me is not easy. I'm one of those people who want it and want it know. And yet God is at work in me developing patience – developing the ability to wait. I have several personal issues in my life right now where God is asking me to wait. I tell you this is not easy, but I'm trusting that "the catcher will catch me – the flyer" (the trapeze story).
 
I'm so thankful for the word of God that keeps me focusing on the important stuff. This past week the two key passages from the Bible of importance to me were Psalm 37:7 (Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for him to act) and Psalm 5:1 (O Lord, hear me when I pray...Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly). I know I'll be going back to them again because I'm sure that this Christian characteristic of patience is still a work in progress for me.
 
I do know though that waiting on the Lord is a confident, disciplined, expectant, active, and sometimes painful clinging to God. Waiting on the Lord is the continual, daily decision to say, "God, I will trust you and I will obey you even though the circumstances of my life are not turning out the way I want them to." Will you join me in the journey? I'd love know how this week's message touched your life and heart. Just click on the link below and share with me your thoughts and reaction and I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

  1. Just a word to let you know that this message was particularly meaningful to me because I am the most impatient person I know. So the Lord is definitely ministering to me through this message and I appreciate it.
    God Bless You,
    Lorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,
    Thank you so much for last week's message. During the previous weeks I was having a lot of anxiety about the future and financial issues. Listening to your message affirmed my belief in God. As I listened to you speak, I realized that there are circumstances in my life that I have no control over. I realized that I must, "Let go and let God (take care of the details)." Thank you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete