Monday, July 20, 2009

Reflections: July 19, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive & Teaching Pastor

Sunday was week two of our summer series "Red Letters." This week Jason Gaudy brought a message from the parable commonly called "The Rich Fool." In this parable God calls the rich man a fool, not because he has riches, but because he is using them only for himself.  As I thought about this parable I wondered if God has ever thought of me as a fool for the way I look at my stuff. I know there are some possessions I have that I hold loosely and have a good attitude about. But there are other possessions that are much more dear to me. I've been reflecting today on how I can have the same attitude about all of my stuff. Do I love some of my stuff too much? Probably!
 
How do I know when I have a God-honoring attitude toward my stuff? How do I know when I love my stuff too much? In this world of accumulation and greed, how can I live with my stuff in a way that is pleasing to Christ?
 
These are some of the questions I'm reflecting on right now. Any ideas or thoughts? Click on the blog link below.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Jason's energy. His personal thoughts and experience really helped me to put myself in the rich man's position. I feel like for me, it's not so much about the stuff, it's my time. Sunday afternoons when we get home from Church, I sit in front of the TV for the rest of the day...what a waste time...I know in those times, God was calling me a fool...right to my face, but I didn't listen..LAZY!!! This message called to me Sunday afternoon as I sat on the couch...God said "Get your bible, I have something to tell you"..and I listened this time...What a reward!!! I was blessed with a strong desire to review the message and dig deeper...Thank You Lord for bringing this message to us through Jason!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rachel, what a great reflection and application of the message! It is so cool when God gets our attention and so clearly shows us things or areas in our life where we can grow, and then blesses us when we are obedient! Thanks for sharing Rachel.

    ReplyDelete