Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reflections: August 2, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Russ Parker, Pastor of Administration & Leadership Development

I Hope You Dance (Matthew 25:14-30)
"...and if you get the chance to sit it out, or dance... I hope you dance"
("I Hope You Dance," by Le Anne Womack)

Every one of us gets the chance to use the talents (possessions of the Master) that we have been entrusted. Fear is a real thing and can paralyze us from moving out and investing our talent. Let's face it, getting out on the dance floor can be downright scary. Whether it's talking to that friend about your faith or teaching a children's small group, for example...it can all be frightening. It's natural for us to think safety is found on the perimeter of the dance floor, where we don't have to engage. We find in this parable, however, the exact opposite. Safety is on the dance floor, using the gifts, talents, opportunities, and possessions God has entrusted to you. It feels risky, but really there's no risk. God will use you. "Time is a wheel in constant motion..." How will you let God use you for His purposes? Will you look back on life with regrets? Will you dance?

3 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed there aren't a dozen comments for Sunday's teaching. I was so moved by it, my husband and I are trying to work on our schedule to finally attend the Meet LBF class and become official members this month. I Need to Dance. Russ, you stepped outside of yourself (your comfort zone) and allowed The Lord to let HIS message reach our fellowship. I know it was difficult and I don't discount the time and effort you put into it, but it was God's words and I am so happy that someone allowed The Holy Spirit to be heard and felt thru an alter call. Although no one at the 9:30 service stepped forward I felt the Spirit and I know it will be fruitful in God's time and place. The offer was made, peope may have been too shy but I will continue to pray for those who were touched. It would be awesome if some day we hear of the fruit that will be harvested within LBF or anyone who may have been visiting. Please don't let that deter you from a mission God may be calling you to. We need more leaders willing to step up. I will pray for you, your family and all our LBF leaders who give us so much of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Nancy. It was a honor to share in front of our church. I also didn't see anyone stand for the "make a decision for Christ" during 9:30 service. But, I was told later three people did stand. I guess you just can't see the whole room at one time. There were a handful more that made decisions during the other services. It was also so very moving to see God speaking to others about how they could over come fear and anxieties to serve our Father. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your prayers for LBF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that many people in all the services had their eyes opened to this idea of stepping out and "Dancing" for the Lord. For me this is something I have been praying about for months, really since I have joined LBF as a member. I think this message was a strong call not only to those who have not yet accepted Christ, but those who have. How will we use our gifts and serve our God? and are we willing to step out and let God lead us? This is the hardest part, trusting that God is right there with us, he is our strength and with him we have no reason to fear. I stood up in the service, for me it was a submission to the Lord, a physical display to him that I am ready to serve him more passionately and ready not just to hear him speak to me, but to listen and apply it. I am currently serving in the youth ministries, but this message has created an urgency to reach out and grow deeper in my relationships with the youth, to be involved in their lives and to grow closer to God with them. Thank you Lord for bringing this messages through Russ and thank you Russ for delivering this message and giving us the opportunity to share in the service the change in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete