Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Reflections: October 25, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Phil Shahbaz, Director of Community Life

Loving one another as Jesus loves us was the theme of Sunday’s service. It is also a theme that the disciple John resonated with deeply. In 1 John, he gave us a game-plan for how to love as Christ did. He was clear that it begins with a personal relationship with Jesus that organically leads to loving one another through our actions. The end-result is a closer relationship with Jesus Christ and with those around us.
As I reflect on the service, I am challenged once again by the rich and vivid example of Christ’s love that the college students at LBF gave us. They went to San Francisco to serve the homeless. In doing so, they began to love one another despite their burdens. 
On a personal note, I admit that I am a flawed man. The sin and burdens in my life often weigh me down. Yet I am loved by my Savior despite my flaws. We are all loved by our Savior despite our flaws. As Christians, we are living evidence of the life of Christ. Today should be the day that we approach someone and say, “forgive me.” Today should be the day we approach someone and say, “I’m sorry.” Today should be the day we show compassion, grace, and mercy to someone. Today, let us show proof of our relationship with Jesus Christ by finding the person in our life who needs to be loved, and simply loving them without condition - as Christ loves us. 
Feel free to write down your thoughts in our blog.

1 comment:

  1. In discussions with people this week, I have been amazed by how hard it is for some people to Love. One person told me how she loved sinners unconditionally even though she knew they were going to burn in Hell. I have a hard time believing that the thoughts she had of them burning in Hell would not come through her 'loving'. My personal belief is that my only job is to Love as Christ loved and leave the judgement of who is going to Hell up to God.

    ReplyDelete