Monday, June 14, 2010

Reflections: June 13, 2010

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive & Teaching Pastor

Being a Christian in a non-Christian Culture
Acts 6:8 – 8:3

This passage reveals a turning point in the development of the Christian church. Stephen, a man full of the Holy Spirit, is martyred for speaking about his faith in Jesus. Jerusalem at that time was a non-Christian nation on the road to becoming more Christian. As we fast forward to today and look at America, we see a nation that was founded on Judeo-Christian values on the road to becoming less and less interested in these original values. But does it matter to our message?

Is it more important for us to return to becoming a “Christian” nation (if we ever really were) or is it more important for us as Christians to carry out our assignment of changing people's lives with the message of Jesus? I choose the latter. History shows us that the Christian church has flourished under persecution. Now I’m not looking for persecution, but whatever our society is and is becoming, our assignment as Christians remains the same – change people's lives with the message of Jesus. You can bet though I’ll personally do what I can to uphold those Judeo-Christian values. I will also encourage Christian involvement in places that can make a difference for these values, including politics and social causes. But my hope is first and foremost in Jesus, not in returning our country to the values of 200 years ago. I’m so very thankful for this country, its founding, and its history. I have lived in other countries and I think America with all its weaknesses is still the place to live. But I want to be careful not to misplace my priorities. I don’t want to lose the message of Jesus as I live in this 21st century culture. What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment