Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reflections: November 28, 2010

This week's "Reflection" by Jeff Taylor, Pastor of Teaching & Worship

Awkwardness... I think about the things that used to be so awkward for me in the past, but are now things that I see as great opportunity. A great example of a way that God has proven Himself faithful to me in the awkward things is in small groups. I have always been a large group kind of person. I like big churches, big parties, big malls, big Thanksgiving dinners, and other places where there is the opportunity to meet with lots of people and have casual interaction. Sitting with someone one-on-one and having a deep conversation and caring about them personally used to be something that was pretty awkward for me. I didn't hate it and it wasn't that I couldn't do it, it was just awkward and I preferred to be in a large group where there was less pressure to actually go deep. God has done a great work in my heart through a small group that I have been in for about 10 years. It has been a place where God has taken the awkwardness and helped me see the importance and even purpose that He has for me in personal situations. It is a place for me to invest in other people, as well as allow people to invest in me. I now look forward to having one-on-one conversations over coffee and being able to genuinely ask "how are you" and listening.

Awkwardness can be such a hindrance, but if we will allow God to change our thinking and allow Him to show us His faithfulness in the awkward things, I believe we are going to see God's move in our lives in new, exciting, and increasingly less awkward ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment