Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This Weekend's Message: The Endless Pursuit


Luke 2:8-12

When my sons were babies, one of my greatest goals in life was to get them to smile. I would play with them, tickle them, make faces at them, pretend to fall down and hurt myself..pretty much anything. I loved to see those smiles light up those little faces. Anytime that it would come, I just wanted it to stay around forever (evidenced by all the pictures that we take during the early childhood years).

The thing I wanted for my sons is the same thing we all want for ourselves – we all want joy. We want to smile (and to mean it!). We do whatever it takes to get that joy. And when that joy comes, we want it to stay. But it doesn’t. Joy is elusive and when we get it, it is usually only for a moment. We seem to be on an endless pursuit for joy. And we’re still wondering how we get it, and how we get it to stick around.

Dan Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment