Thursday, April 4, 2013

This Weekend's Message: One Gospel


I remember the first time that I used a GPS. I have a miserable sense of direction and I frequently get lost, so the presence of a GPS was a welcome addition for our family. I would simply tell it where I wanted to go, and it would give me step-by-step directions. If I did exactly what it said, I would get where I wanted to go.

In a feat of irony, the GPS simultaneously brought both freedom and limitations. It brought limitations because I was instructed on exactly when to turn, when to exit, how many miles to travel, and what freeways to take. But it also brought freedom. It freed me from anxiety that I would go the wrong way. It freed me from ignorance about how far I had to travel. It freed me from the consequences of consistently being late to meetings or appointments. The GPS is just one example of how freedom and limitations come in tandem more often than we think.

This Sunday, as we begin our study in Galatians, the Apostle Paul will demonstrate how this idea of being freely limited applies to the gospel of Jesus. There is freedom to be had! But that freedom will be nullified if we don’t embrace certain limitations.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment