Thursday, January 2, 2014

Joni Brinkley Helps Train Summer Missionaries in Europe

By Carol Hawkins, Missions Coordinator 

This last summer, one of our missionaries, Joni Brinkley, had the opportunity to participate in a conference called “Transform,” which was held in Italy. Joni serves with Operation Mobilization, and she was invited to be a speaker at the conference and encourage those attending to reach out with the light of Jesus to nations in the Mediterranean region. Here are some of her thoughts.

Sonya came from Estonia, Randy came from Germany, Claudia came from Brazil, and Grace came from Hong Kong. People from 30 nations came together in Rome to prepare for a summer of outreach to the Mediterranean nations – to make a difference in people’s lives. Christianity was founded in this part of the world. However, now if there are church buildings there, they are mostly empty. The percentage of people who follow Jesus in that region now is minuscule, both in southern Europe and in north Africa. Hopelessness abounds. 

I was invited to speak at this training conference, helping to equip this enthusiastic group for summer ministry. One evening when I spoke to the 340 participants on the topic “God is our Stronghold,” there was wonderful response from people who want to serve God, but feel wobbly in their walk. Do you ever feel that way? I did other workshops like “Refugees: the World is Coming to Us,” “Hearing God’s Voice,” and “Building Bridges to Share Jesus.” 

God helped me so much. The first day there, I was in a bus accident, escaping with only minor cuts and bruises. The last day there, I didn’t have enough money to cover my night’s lodging, even searching the ground for lost euros and praying for intervention while walking to the convent/motel. 

As I checked in, they informed me that since no private bathrooms were available, they would discount my stay by 8 euros! And every day in between He helped and encouraged me. God was so faithful to me. He always is for each one of us: we can be sure that when we step out, He steps up! 

You can read more about this Transform conference and stories about what God did through outreaches at transform.om.org. Are you interested in going to Transform next summer? Write me at joni.brinkley@om.org

It’s exciting to hear Joni’s report and realize that God is at work through LBF’s missionaries in bringing the truth of God’s word to many who have never heard it. Be praying for Joni as she encourages and trains college students and others who desire to “go” and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment