Monday, April 7, 2008

Reflections: April 5-6, 2008

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Pastor of Teaching/Worship


How Do I Find Out What Works?
 
One of the main reasons Miriam and I changed from the church we were attending in 1977 to LBF was on this subject of remaining in Jesus. I was at the point in my Christian experience where I asked the question, "Is this all there is to the Christian life?" I had made a friend who had the same question. We both had a desire to see the reality of remaining in Christ a bigger part of our lives. That friendship lasted for many years and made a big difference in my understanding of how to remain in Christ.
 
That was 30 years ago. Today I'm still open to learn new things everyday about how to remain in Jesus. The one thing I know for sure is that the spiritual life is all about Jesus. Those who try to experience the spiritual without Jesus will not find the one true living God. If we want to become serious about the spiritual life, it must involve Jesus. I hope these past two weeks have helped to make that more of a reality for you.
 
What did you think about the way I explained what it means to remain in Jesus? Did it make sense? Have you experienced something that you could share on the blog below. I'd be interested in hearing about your ideas and experiences.

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I are new to LBF and have found the connections that you make from Jesus to our contemporary life is wonderful and easy to remember. We spent much of the remainder of Sunday asking each other if we had Jesus in our pocket.

    What stuck even more with me was the idea of being a branch that may be pruned to produce MORE fruit. We have had many challenges in our lives recently and it is easy to feel self-pity. But looking at it as a pruning, gives me the opportunity to look at these things that are taken away from us (or given to us) as misunderstood possibilities. We are now looking for a new home...something I really didn't want to have to do...but it may be just the pruning that our family needs to stimulate a bountiful harvest in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,
    I have a question. When you talked about Jesus as the vine and we as the branches, I can understand that. But I am unsure of what branches would be considered "fruitless." In my infancy of spirituality, I already recognize that Jesus would never have turned his back on someone..."cut" them away from his life and love. It concerns me that there is an expectation of worth to be a branch of the vine.

    My husband and I have faced sins in our past. Would we be cut from the vine? And if so, how could we ever be re-grafted? I don't understand...or maybe I disagree. I'm not sure. It seems as if Jesus would be the one person we could always count on to love us unconditionally. That love is what draws me to him.

    Any insight is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME SERMON!!!! I love the way you used the cell phone story to challenge us to be as connected to Jesus as we are to our phones. Honestly I am not I do fall short in that way. However as I reflect on what you have brought to us this weekend, I will definately be more aware of how much I put time into other things and not Jesus. Great way to connect and to challenge people. Also I really understand your explination of Jesus being the vine and us as the branches. You broke it down to a very understanable level. Thank you Gary.

    ReplyDelete