Monday, March 9, 2009

Reflections: March 8, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive & Teaching Pastor


This week in part two of our series we learned that Moses and the Israelites did all they could to stay close to God. While they were wandering in the desert, God commanded that they build a Tabernacle to be His dwelling place. They knew that He was there when there was a cloud by day or fire by night.
 
On Sunday I shared how great it would be if we could have a cloud or pillar of fire to let us know that we are near God. I also shared that our relationship with God is not a static process, but a dynamic process.  This means that there are NOT five steps that guarantee we will always be in God's presence. Knowing that there are not five simple steps to God's presence, the question to dialogue about this week is, "How do you stay close to God?" and "How do you know you are in God's presence?"
 
Let's learn from each other. Would you mind taking a few minutes after reading this to share how you stay close to God? Thanks so much! We'll see you next week for part three. 

5 comments:

  1. I stay close to God by Praying and reading my Bible. I regain all the confidance in the world after a good cry out to the Lord. We all have problems, but we need to remember that our Father is always with us and will never let us Fall, so long as we have Faith, Pray and Praise him.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Maria, I like it when you say "a good cry out to God." There are times I have done that as well. It seems that every time I can be real with God in prayer my "cloesness factor" rises. Quieting myself down and being sensitive to listen has always been a meaningful time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm nothing without the Lord, but even with that knowledge I find myself falling short of God's grace. I find myself trying to solve problems on my own without the Lord's involvement, not that I'm trying to leave him out I just do. When I find myself in that place, that place of total isolotion looking for the answers, I seek Him, and he is with me. He forgives me of my sins, He comforts me from the hashness of the world around me, He restores my sole and gives me peace. My Lord is always with me, I seek him in prayer and he is there. It is me who is hard to find at times, not my Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cool, Gary - thanks for sharing your thoughts. Would you say that every time you have sought out the Lord he has been there? The passage in James tells us that we are to draw close to God and he will draw close to us, but I have heard about people who have had a different experience. What would you say to these people who try to draw close to God but don't sense his closeness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not agree that the Israelites tried to stay close to G*d. I think they took what He gave them while complaining about it and strayed at every opportunity/ I think the message of this section is that G*d keeps His promises and continues to love us even as we complain about what He has provided for us and continually wander from His presence. In fact the cloud (pillar of smoke)by day and pillar of fire by night is always with us if we but open our eyes to see it rather than keep looking for what we do not have andor want

    ReplyDelete