Thursday, March 20, 2014

This Weekend's Message: Back-up Plan



Because I grew up in Southern California, it was not until my mid-20s that I first drove in the snow. I was not very good at it. I had never learned the particulars of handling a car in those slippery conditions. One of the first times that I drove in the snow, my car started to slide as I approached a red light. I had lost control and I was certain that I was going to crash into the car in front of me. Then, suddenly, my wife cried out, “Take your hands off the wheel.” Even though it went against every instinct I had, I took my hands off the wheel. The car instantly straightened up, and we stopped safely before we hit the car in front of us. My wife had saved the day because she knew how to drive in the snow. But her advice only bore fruit because I trusted her enough to take her at her word, even when her idea sounded strange and risky.

It is always risky to trust someone. We risk being made to look foolish. We risk losing money or respect. We risk others taking advantage of us. Whatever it is that we might lose, we always take a risk when we take someone at their word.

This Sunday we will see Jesus call a man to take a risk and take Him at His word. And in this invitation to trust is a requirement to abandon all back-up plans in order to take Jesus at His word. Are you willing to abandon all your back-up plans and trust Jesus?

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment