Monday, February 23, 2009

Reflections: February 22, 2009

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive Teaching Pastor


Yesterday 670 of us went out and served the community. That was a first for our church, but may it never be an end. With the key word being "flexibility," we – for the first time – cancelled two of our services and actively became the church to people who may never come through our doors.
 
I for one had a great but tiring day. I'm not a cook, but with the right kind of oversight I was able to contribute to making a hot meal for those people living in Ontario in a place we call "Tent City." The people we served were genuinely happy to see us and grateful for what they were receiving. After the meal was served I met a lady named Mary Alice. She has been living there since the first part of 2007. She had a goal of being out by May of last year, but a sickness and 10-day hospital stay set her back. Her new goal is April of this year. Hearing her story reminded me once again that these are people who God loves. I look forward to seeing her again next month when we go and serve another hot meal.
 
I know there must be more stories out there. In fact I'm sure there are 679 more. Would you take a few minutes a write them on the blog below so we might see how God was honored and glorified yesterday? Outward Bound has only just begun!

3 comments:

  1. I was part of the baby shower project. I am so overjoyed to see how we came together as a church to show God's love to 4 expectant mothers. The look on their faces as they came to their celebration and tone in their voices as they thanked everyone for everything showed how God's love materialized for them in a tangible way. I am honored to have been able to be a part of this. I thank God for all the leaders of all of the projects, helpers, donations and all of the hard work before and after to make this event happen. What an exciting event to experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Family was part of the Cleaning up the Walking Trail project that started on 23rd & ended on Foothill Blvd. We picked up lots of trash and greeted all the morning walkers and joggers with a friendly Hello and warm smile. Many of them were so greatful for helping to keep their trail nice and clean, I too feel Honored to have served in our community and look forward to continuing to serve in other upcoming projects. I am very proud of our Church for all that we stand for and all that we give. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY NEIGHBOR HAD HER KITCHEN PAINTED AND JUST TOLD ME EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT. SHE THEN SAID "WHAT NICE PEOPLE!". THIS IS ONE OF MANY LIVES TOUCHED BY THE CALL TO REACH OUT INTO OUR COMMUNITY. PRAYER, ACTION AND OBEDIENCE GOD SUPPLIES THE RESULTS.

    ReplyDelete