Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reflections: May 9, 2010

This week's "Reflection" by Jeff Taylor, Pastor of Teaching & Worship

To care forone another's needs is a high call. We see it all throughout scripture whereGod's people cared for one another and met the needs that they saw around them.In fact, scripture tells us that worship that God sees as real and genuine iswhen He sees us caring for the helpless (i.e. Widows and orphans).
So, what dowe do about it? I have been challenged to consider how I can meet needs, evenif it means sacrificing my own desires or comforts. It is not my place to tellyou what you should do, or give up. But But I invite you to join me inwrestling with the Holy Spirit as we allow Him to speak to our hearts and leadus to be the church as we care for one another.
Have a blessed week!

2 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    Just as Jesus said we are to go to Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the ends of the Earth (Acts 1:8), He also says we are to begin in Jerusalem (Luke 24:47). As I've been seeking the Lord as to what He wants me personally to do, I believe He wants me to start at home. I believe He would have me first meet the needs of my family and find ways I can sacrifice my own desires to better minister to my wife and children. After all, they are His gifts to me and I need to treat them as such! Then, I see the need to reach out to those within the body of Christ ( the Church), and finnaly my community. This order in no way diminishes the importance of community, but instead allows me to lead by example. I pray that LBF might reach our community by becoming living epistles and that we would "not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Rom.12:2).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen,
    You are so right when you say that we should first strive to live as examples. In 1 John 3:19 it says that our actions will show that we belong to the truth. Certainly our actions starting with those closest to us will be huge in demonstrating our heart for God. And as we love those around us God will use that to influence those observers of our life, and draw them closer to Him. Thank you for sharing the truth from your own heart and how the Lord is working.

    ReplyDelete