Wednesday, November 2, 2011

This Weekend's Message: Downward Mobility


When I wake up, I think about one person: Me! I think about my tired body. I think ahead to the events of my day. I think about what I will eat for my breakfast. And if I do think about other people, it is usually only in relationship to how they might effect me. Then, throughout the day, my instinct is to make every decision, small or big, on the basis of whether or not it will benefit me. I tend to place myself securely on the throne of the little Kingdom of Dan Franklin.

Humility is a major threat to this little set-up of mine. It brings up all kinds of questions: Humility?! God wants me to think that I am not all that important or impressive, and to look out for the needs of other people? Why does God so treasure a quality that is such a threat to my way of life? And, most importantly, if I really am going to walk humbly, what needs to change about my perspective?

Dan Franklin

3 comments:

  1. I am always amazed how God ties messages together in our lives. At dinner tonight, I was trying to convince my 2 teenagers to sign up for the youth project helping the homeless. They are completely unwilling to give the 3 hours of time asked of them. I have been struggling with whether or not to 'make' them go, even if their hearts are not open. I will bring them to this Sunday's service and hopefully God will speak directly to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've concluded, through an intensive search for the truth, Jesus is TRUTH, OR HE is the only TRUTH to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Dan, Thank you. I forgot humility, it was
    shoved somewhere way in the back. But even more
    I forgot, He who was above all, lowered Himself to the bottom to be obedient to the Father. May
    I think on this and react positively.

    Jackie Wood

    ReplyDelete