Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kids Hiding God’s Word in Their Hearts

By Laurie Baiz, Director of Children’s Ministry 

At the end of August we had Mission & Vision Sunday and introduced our new mission statement to the church. On that same Sunday, the Children’s Ministry kicked off a memory verse program as a way for the children to focus on the Bible in their pursuit of LIFE in Jesus.

As the months have rolled on, the children have really responded well to participating in the memory verse program and we have five children that have already finished learning all of the memory verses, from A-Z. This is such a great accomplishment! I have asked each one a couple of questions on what they think of the program.

Nathaniel Casequin (1st grade) has completed the first set of A-Z verses.

  1. Why do you enjoy learning your Bible verses? I enjoy them because they are fun; I like them. 
  2. How did you learn your verses? By my mom and my papa helping me. 
  3. What is your favorite Bible verse? X – the verse that is kind of like a poem. “Exceeding great and precious promises are given unto us.” 2 Peter 1:4 
  4. What is your favorite part of the Bible verse program? My favorite part of the program is saying them out loud. 

Matthew Franklin (2nd grade) has completed the first and second set of A-Z verses.

  1. Why do you enjoy learning your Bible verses? Because you get to learn more stuff about God and get prizes. 
  2. How did you learn your verses? I looked at what they said and then repeated them. 
  3. What is your favorite Bible verse? “Honor your father and mother.” Exodus 20:12 
  4. What is your favorite part of the Bible verse program? Getting prizes like a God Has Risen rock. 

Olson Grubb (3rd grade) has completed the first set of A-Z verses.

  1. Why do you enjoy learning your Bible verses? Because it is good putting God’s Word in my heart and remembering it for life. It will come in handy, and I will probably need to use it sometime in life. 
  2. How did you learn your verses? I make them into songs with my mom, and I try to improve on them every night. 
  3. What is your favorite Bible verse? Philippians 1:6: “Being confident in this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on unto completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” 
  4. What is your favorite part of the Bible verse program? It feels good that I have accomplished something, especially that it is memorizing God’s Word. 

Jonathan Maschler (4th grade) has completed the first set of A-Z verses.

  1. Why do you enjoy learning your Bible verses? They were a little challenging and fun. 
  2. How did you learn your verses? I studied the verse cards. 
  3. What is your favorite Bible verse? Y – “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” Matthew 5:14-15 
  4. What is your favorite part of the Bible verse program? I liked competing against the other kids and getting prizes. 

Mackenzie McNutt (5th grade) has completed the first and second set of 5th-6th grade A-Z verses. 

  1. Why do you enjoy learning your Bible verses? I love being able to earn prizes, and also having the word of God in my heart. 
  2.   How did you learn your verses? I would do small parts of each verse and then add it to the part before, then just repeat that concept over and over until I got the whole thing. If a verse was more difficult then I would put it to music and sing it to help me remember. 
  3. What is your favorite Bible verse? ”Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” 
  4. What is your favorite part of the Bible verse program? I really like to earn rewards for all the verses I have learned, but my favorite is when someone tells me that I’ve done a good job and they are so proud of my accomplishments. 

I know that as I have read through their responses it warms my heart and reminds me of the importance of having God’s Word tucked in our hearts to be able to use everyday. May you be blessed and find inspiration from these children and their wonderful achievements.

No comments:

Post a Comment