Thursday, January 10, 2013

LIFE Groups Spotlight: The Fiorentinos

By Lea Lee, LIFE Groups Coordinator 

This month we are starting a monthly LIFE Group Spotlight, highlighting a specific LIFE Group at LBF and their leaders. Below is an interview with Loren Fiorentino, who started leading a LIFE Group with his wife in the last year.

Names: Loren & Holly Fiorentino

Tell us about how you came to faith in Jesus Christ. I was 16 at a youth convention in San Diego when I gave my life to Jesus in the middle of the song, “Heart of Worship.” Unfamiliar with the Spirit at the time, I could only describe it as God having “swept me off my feet.” My wife grew up in a Christian home and has believed in Christ for as long as she can recall. However, it wasn’t until about three years ago that both of us began to understand what it means to make Jesus Lord of our lives. Since then we have been experiencing together an ever deepening relationship with God.

Tell us about how you found LBF. My wife and I were looking for a local church and we became interested in LBF after reading about it on the website. In the mean time, I ran into the Thursday morning men’s Bible study at Chick-Fil-A and Russ Parker invited me to join them. Holly and I attended a service shortly after and have since made LBF our home.

How long have you been leading a LIFE Group at LBF? Since May.

Tell us about your family. I have been married to my wife, Holly, for seven years and we have two children: Audrey, 3, and Joseph, 2. I work as a plant operator for PRAXAIR. Holly stays home with our children and occasionally subs as a teacher’s assistant for kids with special needs.

Tell us a bit about your LIFE Group. We are quite a mix, all unique in age, personality, and life circumstance. Each of us adds something important to the group and we are all bonded by our common love for Jesus and a desire to know Him more.

What are some of the discussion highlights you have had this year? Our favorite conversations happen when one or more of us get to share with the group how God has revealed Himself in a new way to them. We have been blessed by each other’s personal growth in Jesus.

What has been the most encouraging thing that has happened in your LIFE Group? Pursuing God as a group and sharing in each other’s journey has allowed us to witness God changing hearts. We have been blessed with a group of people all willing to be transparent. It’s encouraging to know you aren’t alone in your struggles. We are surrounded by people who want to know God more and support each other toward being better. The most encouraging part is to see weekly the evidence of a God who loves His children and is personally devoted to completing His good work in us.

How would you describe the importance of the LIFE Group you lead? Our LIFE Group is our family. My wife, children, and I anticipate Tuesday evenings because we get to connect with people we love and who love us. We are encouraged and supported by our LIFE Group. There is nothing like this kind of fellowship.

What would you say to someone that is wary about joining a LIFE Group? There is so much encouragement to be found when we walk together in our walk with Jesus, and we desperately need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment