Monday, January 10, 2011

Reflections: January 9, 2011

This week's "Reflection" by Gary Keith, Executive & Teaching Pastor
Whose Stuff Is It?
Psalm 24:1

This weekend as we started our new series titled “Defined by Generosity,” I asked the question, whose stuff is it? The answer is found in Psalm 24. It’s God’s stuff; He is the owner and we are the managers of His stuff. The Biblical truth is that we don’t really own anything – God owns it all.
Now this sounds all well and good and it is based on the Bible, but what does this really mean? After all, I do have the pink slip for my car telling everybody that I own my car. The pink slip doesn’t have God’s name on it, so what does it mean to say that God is the owner of everything?
I think the short answer is found in how we look at our stuff – how we use it, whether it controls us or we control it, whether we use our stuff to advance the kingdom of God, and whether we share our stuff with others or hoard it for ourselves. I think that maintaining a mindset that we are simply the managers and not the owner (which is Biblical) will help guide us in the use and care of all that we think we own.
What do you think? I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment