Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Weekend's Message: A Percentage Problem

Growing up in church, I am pretty fluent in the "language of the church." I can use words like atonement, justification, and salvation in a sentence, and even define them for you. But over the years I have also learned some "practices of the church" that I didn't necessarily know the origin or purpose of. I simply did them because the amazing Christian men and women around me were passionately engaged in these practices.

This weekend we are going to wrap up our "Defined by Generosity" series by taking a look at a practice begun by God's chosen people in the Old Testament, and see what place it has in our offering to God today.

See ya Sunday,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Years ago I used to teach a bible study for downtown ARCO employees at lunch time. There was a young lady who worked in the mailroom who struggled to support her husband and children on her meager salary, while her husband just lived to smoke pot. At one of the bible study's, I informed attendees that I needed sponsors for "Walk for Life." I never imagined that this young lady from the mailroom would to be able or willing to sponsor me. And yet, she sacraficed her $2.00 lunch the AM/PM store so she was have something to give to women who were having crisis pregnancies. I still feel a lump in my thoat and fight back tears as I received the "widow's mite." I turned in over a couple hundred dollars to the folks at "Walk for Life," but that was the biggest two dollars ever. I was the teacher, but God used her to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Craig, Jeff is finishing up the series this morning by talking about how much we should give. He hasn't told me or not if he's going to use this story. Hey by the way I miss you guys already - Don't forget to let us know when you are in town on a Sunday so we can say goodbye with you to the entire church.

    ReplyDelete